Monday, August 25, 2008

Spotlight on Salumi


Of Seattle's food destinations, Salumi would be on that list. With good reason too. Its modest storefront on the edge Pioneer Square welcomes visitors from all over the world craving good food. Much has been written about Salumi from writers much better than myself, so instead we'll talk about their sublime Agrumi Salumi,

I discovered Agrumi before a trip to the Upper One of Alaska. I wanted to grab some salumi as a gift, because who doesn't love cured meats? Even vegetarians break for the right kind. Salumi opens at 11am, and I made my way around 10:45. And yup, the line was already starting. By the time Armandino Batali opened his doors, we were 30 deep. Glad I got their early. If you're at the back of the line the wait is worth it. Sandwich suggestion? Get the Porchetta and thank me later.

As I rummaged through the cured meats, I asked about one called Agrumi. I was told that it was a new flavor incorporating citrus and cardamon. Citrus? In salumi? I gave it a shot, and I was sprung. The flavor of the citrus is restrained and delicate. Softly touching on your palette with a slight zing. It's already my favorite of theirs and that's saying something.

Thankfully you don't have to wait in the lines to grab some. You can order some through their website and Metropolitan Market also carries Salumi at some of their deli counters
.

And the folks that I gave it to in Alaska? They were in cured meat heaven as well.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

i have never been to salumi...i am not 100% gangsta :(